Thursday 21 July 2011

Making you think Wikichild is worth it…

I am the leader of a very important country. And I’ve got a good idea. A new idea. An idea no-one has ever had before. It is an idea that shakes the foundations of conventional wisdom. It flies in the face of cultural and social norms in my country (don’t worry it is not bad, rude, or indeed evil). It is an idea that will change the way citizens live, work, and have fun – and all this for the better!!!

Do you want to know what it is?

Well, I can’t tell you – it’s not real. And it doesn’t matter to you because you don’t live in my country. My country is an abstract and fanciful projection on the back of my eyelids.

What might matter to you though is the question of information sharing (I hope you wanted to know the idea). As well as how to get your message heard and your message understood.  If I ever had a really good idea, I would need to share it, explain it, justify it, before being able to ultimately action it.

So if you had a message to give, just one message – but you had to write a blog about it, what would you do? With me, impatience struck after just five minutes of considering my options. So I wrote about the above (a long standing interest, for which a blog is waiting in the wings). Then I would just give my message… right out of left field…


There, I’ve said it.  Wikichild is back (and again) and it is all brand-new.

Not, of course, that Wikichild went away. But I suppose it might as well have been away. 

If a tree falls down in a forest, and nobody hears it, does it make a noise? If a Wikichild sits on the internet and nobody uses it – does it make a difference?  Well, the answer is a resounding “No”. So guess what…

We have relaunched Wikichild (three’s a charm). 

Lecturers and teachers, look away now, I am about to commit a sin, a grave sin in the world of the written citations… I am about to quote a dictionary definition:

Relaunch: to reintroduce a product or brand to the market after changes or improvements have been made (worst still, I got that definition off the internet).

Wikichild has more on it than before, and it is easier to use. It is full of interesting papers, and news, and notifications of events, and newsletters and everything the good people at Wikiprogress could squeeze into a page of progress (Wikichild is now under the Wikiprogress umbrella).

And do you know what? If we share the message far and wide, and explain why it is important to share our knowledge on these issues, and perhaps find some time in our working day to do this ourselves: Wikichild just might work!

Please help by sharing this link!  Thanks a million.

By Dominic Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment